It's Friday afternoon, the big hand is pointing at the 12 and the little hand at the 5, and my thoughts have turned to that frosty bottle of Hoegaarden taking up space in the fridge at home. Before heading back there I just thought I'd thrown down a list of ten tunes that'll no doubt be lighting up my weekend…
1. TRACEY THORN: GET AROUND TO IT (VIRGIN)
Tracey, Ewan Pearson and the bloke from the Rapture cover Arthur Russell. Sweet.
2. WEEKENDER: SUNDAY SESSION (TOKO)
Classic lazy deep house from the turn of the century. I'd not listened to this record for years and dug it out the other day. Pure late night sweetness… check that Balearic guitar solo!
3. BANGANA: FANTASMA (HEYA HI-FI)
S.U.M.O get down and dirty for some pulsating warehouse party bizniz. Big carnival drums, head-cracking bass and some delicate deepness.
4. 2020 SOUNDSYSTEM: HIGH [LLORCA REMIX/DUB] (2020 Vision)
Chunky deep house niceness with a warm electronic edge. Me like.
5. KOTEY EXTRA BAND FEAT CHAZ JANCKEL: SOONER OR LATER [CHICKEN LIPS DUB DELUXE] (BEARFUNK GOLD)
Dubwise dancefloor excursion on the flip to Kotey and Janckel's recent disco outing.
6. CORTNEY TIDWELL: DON'T LET THE STARS KEEP US TANGLED [EWAN PEARSON INSTRUMENTAL] (CDR)
Epic, uplifting space disco/electronic house from Pearson. It builds for 7 minutes, goes a bit wonky, then grooves for a further 5 minutes. Pity the vocal version is so shoddy.
7. GORILLAZ: KIDS WITH GUNS [QUIET VILLAGE REMIX] (white label)
Smacked-out Balearic weirdness from the QV duo. Get on the floor, lie down and stay there.
8. THE TURTLES: HAPPY TOGETHER [WADE NICHOLS RE-EDIT] (Tonic)
Singalong end of night fare that'll get smiles on faces. If you see my DJing drunk I'll no doubt rinse this!
9. PETER VISTI: BALEARIC LOVE (ESKIMO RECORDINGS)
Epic electronic niceness that sits up and demands to be played all the way through. Proper balearic.
10. PAUL McCARTNEY: COMING UP (PARLEPHONE)
"Diddle iddle di di dee dee… coming up!" Repeat to fade!
Have a great weekend :)